Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What does it feel like?

The topical steroid withdrawal itch is pretty brutal, the itch isn't just an itch I can easily ignore.  

When I ignore it, I start feeling the itch crawling all over me, but the itch isn't just an itch, there's pain associated with it.  When I try to ignore it, it feels like pins and needles being jabbed into my skin and then sends me into spasms.  The burn feels like it comes from underneath the skin, it makes it incredibly hard to sleep.  Some people say this itch is a good thing, it's the skin repairing itself and that repair comes from underneath the top layer of skin.  

Interestingly enough, during the day the itch or burn isn't bad.  It is only when I change environments when the itch/burn acts up.  The moment I change clothes, I immediately feel itchy.  The worst itch is the one in the middle of the night.  I can't lie on my back because its itchy, can't lie on my side because my arms and torso are itchy. I can really rest my neck on my pillow because that's itchy as well.  It seems the itch is worse when it's around 3am in the morning.  It not only stings, it actually feels like it burns, it feels like my entire skin is on fire and pins and needles are attacking me.

The thing with the itch is that if I start scratching it feels good, but then it travels to somewhere else on my skin and I have to scratch there as well.   It's hell.  Of course the lack of sleep is really brutal, I slept maybe two nights completely through since I started TSW.  Sometimes I actually dread falling asleep because I know that horrible itch is going to come.  I really want this to pass.  I think my flare is waning, but the itch/burn are still very intense.  

No comments:

Post a Comment