Saturday, April 12, 2014

My Topical Steroid Addiction Story - Part 2

In 2012 I was also diagnosed with high blood sugar.   My A1C was 7.1, which is borderline diabetic and well beyond the so-called pre-diabetic range.   In an effort to get my A1C down, I lost 25 lbs by the end of 2012 but my A1C was still around 7.2, which was insane because I only weighed 140 lbs and yet I had the blood sugar levels of a diabetic which is usually due to obesity.  I eventually learned that some topical steroids are actually glucocorticoids, they cause the blood sugar levels to go up.

I stopped using any steroids on my foot sometime in 2013 and took another blood test about 4 months after, and my A1C was 4.8, shocking....  I thought I was in the clear.

During this time, whenever I was stressed, I would sometimes get small rashes.  I would subdue these rashes with the leftover steroids that I wasn't using on my foot.   Usually in two or three days the rashes would disappear and I would stop using the topical steroid.

In March of 2014, I did a run and a workout (not something I did regularly).   I started to get a rash on my abdomen area.  That rash looked like goosebumps but red.   They were itchy.  I managed to subdue the ones on my abdomen area by using some topical steroids.  I worked out again, and a couple of days later, some more bumps appeared, this time on the inside of my thighs.  Then a few more on my arms.  I went to a walk-in clinic, the doctor thought it was folliculitis and gave me some anti-bacterial medication.  I aslo had a cracked thumb, she told me it was definitely eczema and gave me some Lyderm.  I faithfully applied both on the prescribed areas.

Within two days, those bumps got bigger, to the point where they were the size of peas.  I went to the ER.  The ER doctor thought it was a case of scabies, but also gave me a referral to a dermatology rapid access clinic, just to double check his analysis.   Over the next two days, the situation got progressively worse.  I went to see the dermatologist.  The dermatologist said it was eczema...  I was emotionally crushed.

I had never been able to overcome the eczema on my left foot and now it was attacking the rest of me.  I felt angry, angry at the weather (it was a really cold winter), angry at all these misdiagnosis, etc.  The derm gave me 100g of betaderm (Betamethasone) and said in 3 days it would be gone.  I put the betaderm on, I put it all over my body like it was a moisturizer.  It did reduce the inflammation, but it didn't get rid of the itchiness and I was still getting more and more new patches elsewhere on my body.   I had spreading eczema.

I went to go see a traditional chinese medicine doctor.  He gave me some foul tasting concotion to take for 4 days and acupuncture.  I was skeptical it would help and it didn't help.  I was still get some occasional new spots and the itchiness wasn't dissipating.     I also saw a naturalpath and a different traditional chinese medcine doctor.  They all prescribed their "remedies" and got my hopes up, none of them worked.

I visited my regular doctor and she referred me to another dermatologist and gave me some topical steroids.  I was starting to get skeptical.   Their remedy is always some topical steroid and the one my doctor gave me was actually the one that caused my high blood sugar before.

I then started doing some research on the internet and that's when I stumbled upon http://www.itsan.org and learned about topical steroid addiction.   I realized my skin had become dependent and addicted to steroids over the years and that's why nothing worked.  I stopped using steroids for a while and my skin was trying to rebound, but I suppressed it using the betamethasone.   I immediately stopped using all topical steroids on April 1st 2014.  Within a day, the flare that had started 2 weeks earlier resumed in earnest.   I'm now in topical steroid withdrawal and this blog is going to be the story of my long road to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment